ou’ve all heard that it’s the small details that make the difference, the jewelry and accessories that make the outfit. It’s the same with the places we live in… the décor items are what bring the final touches that make a space feel complete, homey, and exciting. Although that doesn’t mean we need to dress up our whole house to look pretty and straight out of a magazine, quite the contrary!
First and formost we should be thinking: how can I make my life easier, more comfortable and convenient? How can I improve my quality of life? This is what should drive the design of our homes! Then we can think about the prettiness of the space. But one little trick, don’t make everything so perfect that no one will want to sit on the couch for fear of dicturbing your perfectly placed pillows, or that they’ll awkwardly tip toe through your house become everything is perfectly stiff and you glare at anyone that dare leave a dirty dish on the counter or a crooked towel in the washroom. Where is the fun in all that?!
Here are questions to ask yourself and things to keep in mind the next time you are decorating or re-arranging your home. Home is not only where the heart is, home is where you should be able to relax and be comfortable to the max!
- Do you dry yourself in or out of the shower?
- This will let you know if you need a bath mat, where will be the best place to hang your towel, and how much room you need stepping out of the shower.
- Do you get dressed in the washroom?
- As above, if you get dressed in the washroom make sure you have enough room without feeling cramped. If your washroom is small avoid crapping up the space even more with shelving and other objects.
- Is there a waste basket in you guest washroom?
- Because it’s incredibly uncomfortable as a girl to be on your period and there be no waste basket in the washroom!
- If you entertain a lot is the furniture conversation centered and placed so that everyone can take part in the conversation?
- Having the furniture too far apart or having your couch on one end of the room and chairs on the other will exclude someone from the party and break up the conversation.
- Are there side tables and a coffee table for your family and friends to place their drinks?
- It’s highly inconvenient to have to hold a hot cup of coffee in your lap because there is nowhere else to place it.
- Is there enough room around the furniture to easily move around?
- You can probably imagine how annoying it would be to constantly have to wiggle your way around the coffee table to go sit on the couch. Plus having enough clearance around furniture will make the space look more spacious.
- Are the items you use most often easily accesible?
- You should have to reach to the back of a cupboard or need a chair every time you want to use the spaghetti strainer (or other item you use once a week or more).
- Are the pots and pans by the stove?
- Make your life easier by having them at arms reach 🙂
- Do you have your heavier items on the upper shelf of your lower cabinets?
- To prevent injury!
- Do you have a way to regulate the temperature?
- This can be an A/C unit, fan, or window.
- Is your room clutter free?
- Removing all clutter will make for a calmer atmosphere and you’ll sleep so much better!
- Are the lights easily accessible?
- A bedside lamp will save you from having to get up from your bed to turn the lights on and off.
And there are so many other things that we can keep in mind and do to make our lives a little easier and comfortable! What things do you do in and around the house that you couldn’t live without? Let me know in the comments bellow!